We were in Fiji working towards a huge outreach and one of the local Fijian girls, a fellow YWAMer (Youth with a Mission,) was part of our team. She was having a hard time getting her support, so I prayed about helping her. She was about $300 short of what she needed to gather in 2 months. Three hundred USD was a lot of money to her. The Lord instructed me to do something to help. Instead of a one-time gift, I told her I would give her $5 a day, but she needed to ask me every day for the $5. She was shy and to that point had not asked anyone to assist her.
The issue was an internal one, not a monetary one. It took a lot of coaching and encouragement from me and a friend of hers to get her to ask for money the first day. She did OK the second day, and to make a long story short, she never asked me for money again – even though she knew I wanted to give to her. This story highlights an important point in fundraising: Internal issues are just as critical, if not more so, than learning the skills and tools of fundraising.
This article is a list of the 13 most common barriers to raising support for the missionary fundraiser. If you are struggling with raising your support (or really any Christian with financial challenges,) ask the Lord if any of these could be part of thwarting of the support you need.
1. Lack of Knowledge: “… my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.” Hosea 4:6.
2. Lack of Tools: Any job has tools.
3. Ineffective or Inconsistent Efforts: Support raising is a skill that needs to be developed.
4. Not having a personal budget: “Failures don’t plan to fail; they fail to plan.” Harvey MacKay.
“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? “No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Luke 16: 10 – 12
5. Bad Theology: Many Christians, including missionaries, have a wrong concept of money, wealth, poverty, etc
6. Pride: It is humbling to ask for help, NOT asking is often spiritualized.
7. Fear: Fears will thwart our fund raising efforts.
8. Lack of Personal Giving: We also must be givers as missionaries, not just receivers.
9. Insecurity: Low self-esteem leads to doubts in your heart.
10. Not Asking GOD correctly: Issues that can thwart our relationship with God and affect our provision.
a. Lack of unity with family or team or?
b. Impure motives.
c. Treatment of spouse.
11. Under a Curse: Curses can be very real and powerfully negate your provision.
12. Lack of Passion: Some missionaries have a fatalistic view of life.
13. Spiritual Warfare: Many of those raising support are too quick to blame the devil.
This is just a list, read more about each barrier to support raising. Ask God to reveal any of these areas that may be barriers to the provision HE has for you! May our testimony in the area of our support be:
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20